Tuesday, June 3, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: DOM Wars Round 1 & 2 by Lucian Bane

From Goodreads:
Lucian Bane’s inner Dom is out of control and hungry for things he can’t name. When he signs up for Dom Wars, he meets Tara who is naive to the BDSM world. Her reckless dominance and puritan heart fascinate him. But when he discovers the pain in her past, it unleashes his true Dom within. 

Lucian and Tara make it to round two in the DOM WARS. The challenges now revolve around trust, and while Tara's inhibitions in the world of BDSM are slowly being crushed by Lucian's passion, her deep rooted fears become the real obstacle he must dominate.







R.E. Hargrave's Review
* * * *
Are you ready to sizzle? Then let’s get the pesky negatives out of the way so we can get to the good stuff!

What I didn’t like:
  • Mr. Bane has an unhealthy obsession with the ellipsis. (Any of the authors I edit for would’ve been flogged by me over the sheer amount ;) )
  • There were some minor issues with formatting, i.e., extra indents and such, which were distracting while reading.
  • The pacing of the story, in particular the budding romance between Lucian Bane and Tara Reese felt rushed. Given that the DOM Wars series is a serial--multiple, short installments--it would’ve seemed more plausible to have the ILYs wait until at least Round 2. The sex scenes also seemed hurried; just as they get take-your-breath-away-steamy, they’re over. (Patience and buildup are a virtue, Mr. Bane) I can’t attest to whether or not the intimate moments seem over before they’ve begun because, like most of Mr. Bane’s readers from what I’m gathering through social media, I found myself unable to stop reading once I started. There is something about this series that draws you in.

Which leads me to what I love about this series so far . . .

The writing is raw and real, the underlying emotional impact forgiving the usual ‘rules of structure' while the concept of an extended ‘top Dom’ contest with a variety of challenges is brilliant and unique. Each test not only takes Lucian and Tara further on their romantic journey, but serves to educate the reader about the true nature of BDSM . . . IN LAYMAN’S TERMS. The Lifestyle is not all sex and mindgames, and I find it refreshing to come across authors who can get it right.

Bravo, Mr. Bane, and thank you for helping to get the truth out to the public.


Though I dove into DOM Wars after downloading it on a recent free sale weekend, I’ve already gone back and purchased Round 3. I can’t wait to see what’s next for this complex pair, or what future tasks they have to undertake. To you, the reader, I’m fondly borrowing Lucian’s phrase: It’s time to Dom the f**k up and start reading. Round 5 is coming June 20th so you'll want to be up to speed!

No comments:

Post a Comment