Wednesday, December 10, 2014

An Interview With Elena M. Reyes

Elena M. Reyes is the author of the Marked and Ardor series, as well as the tantalizing Teasing Hands. Today, she's releasing a companion novella Taunting Lips. Today, she sat down with Lissa Bryan for a chat.


.¸¸•.¸¸.•´¯`• (¯`•ღ•´¯)•´¯`•.¸¸.•.¸¸.


Lissa: It’s awesome to see another fanfic author succeeding in the world of original fiction. What do you think the fandom taught you the most, as a writer?

Elena: To believe in myself.

The love and support the fandom provides its authors is astounding…it builds you up, and pushes you past the fear of rejection. They taught me that my voice was unique enough to stand out in the crowd, and be heard. It’s humbling and exciting to have people follow your work and believe you are “good” enough to share your ideas with those outside our tightknit community. It’s because of them that I pursued this career and I couldn’t be happier.


What was your first piece of erotic writing, and what made you decide to take the plunge into that type of storytelling?

My first fanfic story was the cherry popper so to speak. ;)

Basically, I wrote what I thought was sexy—attractive.  While I enjoy a good romance like most women out there, I hate the concept of fading to black. I’m an adult and open minded. Show me the passion—the raw animalistic need that the main couple feels when being in the heat of intimacy. It’s what I like and in turn, love to write.

You’re releasing Taunting Lips on the 10th of December. It’s an accompaniment to the novel Teasing Hands. What made you want to linger with these characters for another story?

It all came down to the fans and their need for more. When I began to write Teasing Hands, it was meant to be a stand-alone, and still is in a sense. What I didn’t take into account when I hit publish was how the public would feel about that decision. They asked for more. My editors, and even the woman now in charge of my PR, wanted more. How could I say no?

I love these characters and enjoyed every second of putting their love story together.

I might even revisit them at some point in the future if the need wasn’t fulfilled with this novella.


What is the most erotic scene you’ve ever written? 

The most erotic scene for me has to be the tattoo scene from Marking Him. It was the act of Talan putting his work on Maya, fulfilling his need to ink her with his mark. It was symbolic of their commitment and love. It was intense and sweet.

Marking Him Excerpt

“Bet my fucking life on it.” Talan groaned; his eyes zeroed in on my fingers parting my pussy lips. “There’s nothing sexier than watching you lose control. Back arched, eyes rolled into the back of your head … having your pussy walls locked down around my dick. It’s a beautiful pain.” 
“Then why aren’t you taking me—taking what’s yours?” 
“Because I have a goddamned appointment, who’s going to walk through that door and see you naked and waiting. Fuck.” His hands punched the door. “Get dressed, babe, please.”
“Baby, look around. Tell me if anything stands out.” Poor man, he hadn’t noticed the reality of this situation. 
“Other than my fantasy of you, naked and in my chair becoming a reality?” Talan smirked; his eyes roamed my body from head to toe. “No. Not a damn thing.”
Dear God, how much more obvious could this be? “You really are dense.”
“What the he—”
I interrupted him before he fucked up this evening. “What part of Merry Christmas didn’t you understand?”
Talan’s eyes brightened. He got it. “You mean?” I nodded and smiled. “Fuck yes.”
“How? Esther booked . . .” he trailed off. It wasn’t hard to understand. 
“I’ve wanted to do this for so long. Since that night you showed me my design all those months ago.” 
Talan’s eyes softened at this. “So you waited for Christmas?”
“It felt like the right time. Special.”
“Thank you.” He breathed and pushed himself off the door frame. It still wasn’t close enough. “Are you sure you want this? My mark?”
“More than anything.” Staring up into his eyes, I took a deep breath and continued. “Wearing your mark, a peace of your ownership, will be an honor. I love you.”
Like a magnet finding his polar opposite, he launched himself at me. His arms grabbed onto my waist and pulled me toward the very edge of his chair. The file which had been placed at the end of his chair, fell to the floor, and scattered around his feet.
He hovered over me, caging me in, making me feel small and safe.
“Your beauty leaves me breathless.” Talan moaned. My legs wrapped around his waist and held him against me. Hard cock to needy pussy. “No one will ever love you harder than me. So complete, and with every fiber of what makes him a man. You doing this, for me … no fucking words could describe what I feel. Thank you.”
“I was meant to be yours; it’s only fitting that I bear your imprint. Love you.” His hungry lips were on mine the moment the last syllable left my lips. It was rough, passionate. His tongue sought out mine, entwined with it, and savored my taste. 

What do you think is the greatest challenge an erotica writer faces and how do you try to meet that challenge?

Standing out in this genre is difficult. There are so many talented authors out there at the moment…it’s hard to find your niche and stand out in the crowd.  It’s exciting and hard, but the erotic community is ever growing. Pushing the boundaries. I love the honesty and desire for more the consumers demand for on a daily basis. There are very little limitations on what’s appropriate, so the skies the limit with what we can do.

To be completely honest with you, there is nothing I do to battle the competition. I’m me. Simple and honest and write what I know and love. I’m blessed to have a small fan base that supports me and enjoys my work.

What’s the next project you want to tackle?

Finishing the Marked Series.

There are two more books in this series and a spin-off with my villain as its main focus. To me, Janice is special, and I want her to see past Talan. My biggest wish for her is to find love and some redemption.

What do you think is the most erotic piece of music you’ve ever heard?

For me it changes constantly. At the moment I am really digging:

 Take Me To Church by Hozier and Aminals by Maroone 5. They are on repeat while I write. The lyrics to both invoke such raw and primal carnal needs. Emotions and desires are visible and it moves me. They create scenes in my head that have to be put to paper. :)

Who is your favorite character out of everything you’ve written?

Hands down, Maya from the Marked Series. She’s feisty and fun, but loves Talan with everything she is. Her attitude and personality traits are mine.  Everyone that knows me, and has read these books, has joked about how easily they can see me saying the things she does in conversation.

What inspires you? How does a scene begin in your mind?

Life.

 I take things from my everyday life and put it into what I write. A silly joke my husband made or a story a friend told me. Even what we watch on TV or where we live. It all helps to spark the creative juices which create the world my characters live in.

Last, but certainly not least… what’s the best part about being an erotica writer?

I think the best part of being any kind of writer is the reader’s response. A small message left on a social media outlet to tell you that your books made their day. A review explaining the emotions that ran through them as they devoured each line.  There is no bigger reward than the appreciation of the hours of blood, sweat, and sometimes tears you shed, while ignoring the outside world. That it was all worth it.

.¸¸•.¸¸.•´¯`• (¯`•ღ•´¯)•´¯`•.¸¸.•.¸¸.


Elena M. Reyes was born and raised in Miami Florida. She is the epitome of a Floridian and if she could live in her beloved flip-flops, she would. As a small child, she was always intrigued with all forms of art—whether it was dancing to island rhythms, or painting with any medium she could get her hands on. Her first taste of writing came to her during her fifth grade year when her class was prompted to participate in the D. A. R. E. Program and write an essay on what they’d learned. Her passion for reading over the years has amassed her with hours of pleasure. It wasn't until she stumbled upon fanfiction that her thirst to write overtook her world. She now resides in Central Florida with her husband and son, spending all her down time letting her creativity flow and letting her characters grow.

2 comments: