Monday, December 1, 2014

An Interview With Lisa Bilbrey, Author of FORBIDDEN AWAKENINGS

Lissa Bryan sat down with Lisa to talk about writing erotica and her upcoming novel.


.¸¸•.¸¸.•´¯`• (¯`•Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ•´¯)•´¯`•.¸¸.•.¸¸.


Lissa Bryan: You were involved in the fan fiction world. How did you discover it, and how did you decide to take the plunge and post your first story? 

Lisa Bilbrey: Like so many people, I first read the Twilight books and found love for the characters. However, it wasn’t until I read a two-shot called Isle Esme that I found fan fiction. I was a member of an online parenting site, and someone posted the link. Curious, I clicked on it and it took me to the story. From there, I found myself reading story after story, and then one night about three or four months later, I found myself unable to sleep because I had this nagging storyline inside my head. So, I grabbed my laptop and started writing. And I wrote, and wrote, and wrote. For two years, I wrote a dozen stories. I wanted to post them, but I was so scared and nervous because I didn’t think I could write. I have a learning disability, and for a long time, I let it hold me back. But I found this love with writing. Almost like I found myself being set free. One day, my mother, who had read a couple of my stories, told me that I needed to share my words with others. So, I took the plunge and posted my first. And it was horrible! The worst grammar and spelling, but I had sweet readers, who taught me a lot, and I learned so much. Now, it has been five years and fifty stories later, and I still love it.


How did you make the move to original fiction? 

Making the jump from fan fiction to writing original fiction wasn’t easy. I was scared because taking characters that someone else had created and bending them to my will was one thing, but creating my own was scary. But then, as it happens a lot with me, I had this dream. In my dream, a young woman was standing on the beach. There was a storm brewing — lots of lightning and thunder, wind whipping her hair around her. In the dream, she was sobbing, and as she lifted her hands to the sky, a bright pink glow radiated from her fingertips. In an instant, the storm stopped, and when she looked back at me, her eyes were pitch black. I woke with a start, half scared of what I’d dreamed, and half excited. I had to write it. I had to, it was too important to let go. And that’s how Angel’s Heart: The Keeper began. While it wasn’t the first book I released, it’s the first that sparked something inside of me.

What do you believe is the most erotic scene you’ve ever written? What gives it that special edge? 

There’s a scene in Forbidden Awakenings where Elle is watching as her lovers are making love. She’s mesmerized by the way they move together. But instead of joining them, she decides to up the ante. Here’s a peek:

Elle strapped the device on, smiling as when she saw the pink silicone dildo hanging between her hips, felt the snugness of the leather straps against her skin, and the pressure of the vaginal plug pressed inside of her. Taking a deep breath, she turned and walked out of the closet.
"Holy shit,” Callum groaned, his eyes traveling down the length of her body, his eyes locking on the fake-cock. “Baby?”
“On your knees,” Elle ordered, smirking when Callum groaned and followed her demand by kneeling in front of her. 
His nude body was luminous in the soft lighting inside their bedroom. Behind him, Derek and Sadie were watching and waiting with anticipation for what she was going to do next. Elle slid her hand over her breast, tweaking the hardened peak of her nipple, the sensation causing her to whimper. 
Callum moaned, his mouth parting as his tongue snaked out and wet his bottom lip.
“Baby, please.”
“What do you want?” she asked, letting her hand slide further down her body until she was gripping the silicone appendage. “Hmm? Tell me what you want.”
“I want . . .” He exhaled a sharp breath, and for a moment, she wondered if she was going too far. They’d played with toys before, but was asking him to give himself over to her like this too much to request? But before she could say anything, Callum shifted his eyes up to hers and said, “Fuck me. I want you to fuck me, to take my ass and claim it as yours.”
Elle’s lips curved upward as she took a step toward him. She reached out, placing her hand on the back of his head while brushing the tip of the strap-on against his lips. 
Callum moaned again before he opened his mouth and began to suck on her pink dildo. 
“Jesus fuck,” Derek growled, and Elle looked over at him. He was stroking his cock, but his attention was locked on Callum and Elle. “That’s, um, that’s fucking hot.”
“He likes it,” Elle purred, turning her eyes back to Callum a she shifted her hips forward and filled his eager mouth. “Don’t you?”
With his mouth full, his response was muffed, but his hands, which had found her hips, spoke for him. He was pulling her forward, almost begging her to keep fucking his face. Elle was glad to oblige, to give her lover what he needed, what he wanted, because she needed and wanted him, too. 
“Yes, I thought so,” Elle murmured, stroking his hair before tightening her grip and pulling his mouth off of her. “But I want more. I want your ass.”

So, yeah, I go there. lol

Did you have any hesitation or shyness when you began writing erotica? If so, how did you overcome it? 

My biggest concern with writing Forbidden Awakenings was how to make the sex scenes realistic, without being too technical. I wanted to touch on the emotional aspects of their relationship, rather than the physical, but the physical was a huge part of who they were. And since none of my other books had a lot of sex, I worried about how far I could push my readers. I know that my book won’t be for everyone. There’s so many different types of love here: F/F, M/M, M/F/M/F. I worry a little that people will reject it because polyamorous relationships are so taboo, but I strongly believe in the characters I created and the love they share.

Your latest erotica novel has an untraditional romance. How do you balance that as a writer? Did it present any challenges to you? 

For me, one of the biggest struggles with a poly relationship, is keeping it balanced. It’s easy to have two characters, like Elle and Callum, become the main focus, and not explore Elle’s relationship with Derek or Sadie, I really put the extra effort in creating private moments between the four of them. Hopefully, I’ve done it justice and people will fall in love with them like I have.

You write in multiple genres, but all of your stories have a romantic bent. What do you think draws people to love stories? 

I think it’s the idea that love can be magical and special. For me, I love romances where the couple are strong and overcome their challenges without running from each other. It’s the idea that true love is worth going through hell, that there is someone out there who can save us, not from the evils in the world, but from ourselves. I found that person in my husband, and I guess, I like the idea of others finding theirs.

What drew you to write erotica? 

Well, I wanted to explore the genre, since I’ve written more than a couple as fan fiction, but there is a big difference between fan fiction and original fiction. I’d written a similar fic version of Forbidden Awakenings, but there was so much that I didn’t like about it. So, I decided rather than pull the FFs, I would completely rewrite them the way I wanted them to be written, and I think they’re 1,000 times better.

What do you think is the greatest challenge an erotica author faces in keeping their work fresh and exciting? 

I think it’s keeping the sex from being too repetitive, because, to be honest, there’s really only so many ways to describe people having sex. And this is where focusing on the emotional connection is so important, and not just relying on the sex to sell your book.

Do music or images provide inspiration for you? 

I listen to music a lot when I write. In fact, I have a huge playlists for the Awakenings Series, that includes: Nickelback, Hinder, P!nk, A Great Big World, Brandi Carlilse, and more. Anything that touches my heart is included. I don’t use images as much because I tend to have a clear view of what I want and how it looks. The trick is getting it from my head and into the book.

Do you have any advice for aspiring erotica authors?

Wow, I don’t know that anything I have to say will be helpful, but I guess it would be to let it go. Don’t be afraid of touching on the taboo, of taking chances because when you let yourself be free, the results are powerful and amazing. But at the same time, don’t force it.


.¸¸•.¸¸.•´¯`• (¯`•Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ•´¯)•´¯`•.¸¸.•.¸¸.

About the Author:




Obsessive, compulsive, slightly crazed, but enough about her personality. First and foremost, Lisa Bilbrey is a mom to three and a wife to one. She loves to write, and spends the majority of everyday writing. It's who she is, and what she's meant to be doing. Words are her life, the air she breathes, and the nutrients of her soul. Finding a love in the written word, Lisa Bilbrey started writing as a way to express herself and let her voice be heard. From the first word she wrote, she'd found her heart and soul.

Always willing to learn, she's spends much of her time trying to improve as a storyteller.







.¸¸•.¸¸.•´¯`• (¯`•Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ•´¯)•´¯`•.¸¸.•.¸¸.

Lisa Bilbrey is the author of 

Angel's Heart: The Keeper
Angel's Heart: The True Enemy
The Journey Collection
The Journey Home
The Journey of Champions
The Journey to Forever
The Journey to a New Life
Life's Unexpected Gifts
A Season of Change
The Apartment
Broken Hearts & Dusty Dreams
Whispers of Time Gone By

Forbidden Awakenings is available for pre-order on Amazon now. You can read the first chapter on Lisa's blog.

1 comment: